Ener-Core manufactures power generation products which enable coal mine operations to cleanly generate power from gases that previously were wasted or had no economically viable use. Ener-Core’s systems leverage an anticipated worldwide trend towards decreasing methane emissions and increasing coal mine gas utilization.
EnerCore Powerstations utilize a greater range of gas including low-quality gas for:
• Avoiding flaring and venting
• Transforming a source of unwanted emissions and pollution into onsite power
• Powering production processes by converting difficult to destroy methane gas into low emissions electricity
Ener-Core’s Solution to Convert Air Pollution into Clean Power
Ener-Coreʼs Gradual Oxidation technology can effectively convert impure and low energy density gases into a form which can be processed by gas turbines to produce electricity and heat.
We believe that our customers can greatly reduce the cost of compliance with air quality and emission regulations by
avoiding the chemicals, catalysts, and complex permitting required by competing systems.
Our products are specifically engineered for fuel flexibility and modularity, so that low-quality fuel gases can be used as an energy resource instead of being a waste and emissions source from venting and flaring.
Gradual Oxidation works by replacing a combustion reaction with a chemically similar, but slower chemical oxidation reaction which occurs at lower temperatures than combustion.
Our technology extends a historical trend in engine technology seeking to improve emissions and expand the fuel operating range. Our systems are designed to allow for the extraction of energy from previously unusable fuels, reduce harmful pollutants, and create useful energy products such as heat and electricity.
We have completed a number of development and deployment milestones in the last five years. In 2012, our technology successfully underwent testing and verification completed by an independent third party as part of U.S. Department of Defense (“DoD”) demonstration program.
Coal Mine Methane Utilization Benefits of an Ener-Core Powerstation
- Unprecedented capability to use weaker fuels like vented gas from coal mine operations
- No need for water, chemicals or catalysts
- Tolerant of changes to gas composition while operating
- Achieve low emissions (Less than 1ppm NOx is achievable)
- Capability of generating from a wide range of coal operations including coal bed methane (CBM),
- abandoned mine methane (AMM) and ventilation air at 1.5% methane (VAM)
- FP250: up to 10,500 metric tons of CO2e avoided annually from a 250 kW system
- KG2-3GO: up to 68,000 metric tons of CO2e avoided annually from a 1850 kW system
250 kW Product: The Ener-Core Powerstation FP250 combines Gradual Oxidization with a 250 kW gas turbine from FlexEnergy, Inc.
Ener-Core’s Gradual Oxidizer replaces the turbine’s standard combustor, resulting in a generation system with a wide fuel operating range and ultra-low emissions.
2.0 MW Product: The Ener-Core Powerstation KG2-3G w/GO, combines our Gradual Oxidizer technology with a two megawatt Siemens/Dresser-Rand Group, Inc. gas turbine.